3140 R -- Community Relations
Regulations for BOE Policy 3140
SUBJECT: FLAG DISPLAY
1) The flag shall be displayed daily during school days in, on or near every school. The flag will be displayed outdoors, weather permitting, from sunrise to sunset. However, the flag may be displayed and appropriately lighted at night on special occasions as authorized by the Board or the Superintendent when it is desired to produce a patriotic effect.
2) The flag shall be displayed daily on or near the District's main administration building whenever it is open to the public, and on the following days whether or not the District is open.
a. January 1, New Year's Day
b. The third Monday of January, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
The twelfth day of February,
The third Monday in February,
e. The last Monday in May, Memorial Day
f. The second Sunday of June, Flag Day
g. July 4, Independence Day
h. The first Monday in September, Labor Day
i. The third Friday in September, National POW/MIA Recognition Day
j. The second Monday in October, Columbus Day
k. The eleventh day of November, Veterans Day
l. The fourth Thursday in November, Thanksgiving Day
m. The seventh day of December, Pearl Harbor Day
n. December 25, Christmas Day
(If any of the above days except Flag Day falls on a Sunday, the flag will be flown on the next day.)
o. Each general election day.
Each day appointed by the President of the
3) The flag shall be displayed in every assembly room including the room where the Board of Education meetings are conducted.
4) The flag will be displayed in all rooms used for instruction. The Pledge of Allegiance shall be recited daily during the homeroom period.
5) The flag will be flown at full staff at all times except that it shall be flown at half-staff:
a. On Memorial Day until , then raised to the top of the staff;
b. On Peace Officer's Memorial Day, May 15 (unless that day is also Armed Forces Day);
c. On Patriot Day, September 11;
e. On a day as may be designated by the superintendent to commemorate the death of:
(1) A personage of national or state standing;
(2) A local serviceman, official or public servant who, in the opinion of the Superintendent, contributed to the community;
(3) A present or former Board member, present employee, teacher, student, clerk or custodian.
The flag may be flown at
half-staff during special periods of mourning designated by the President of
7) The flag will not be flown at half-staff in response to a petition from students, faculty, or other employees of the District, or petition from a member or members of the community, who have as their intent an expression of sympathy, support, dissent, or opposition to a cause which is political, social, or economic.
Reviewed: September 9, 2008