Naming of the Schools

In 1950, the district officially centralized and was named “Central School District No. 2, of the Towns of  Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Malta, Waterford, Ballston and Stillwater, County of Saratoga, New York.”

In 1951, district residents voted to purchase 160 acres and to build an 1,800 pupil school to house K-12. The area (now known as the campus) was part of the Shenendahowe (Iroquois for Great Plains) or Clifton Park Patent of 1708. The Board of Education simplified the name at the time and began referring to the district as Shenendehowa Central Schools (although the name would not be formally changed with the State Education Department until 1973).

The district then began the long tradition of naming our schools with Native American names. When naming a school, the district typically does extensive research and consults with Mohawk/Iroquois experts. The district then presents students with a selection of names and their meaning and students vote to select the name. Because this language was not a well documented, written language, the meaning of the names are typically “loose” interpretations.

Shenendehowa – the great plains

Acadia – place of plenty

Gowana – great

Koda – friend

Arongen – to understand

Shatekon – a balanced life

Chango – happy and cheerful

Okte – to achieve

Karigon – to join together

Orenda – great spirit

Skano – peace

Tesago – courage