FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Gowana 6th Grade Science
What is the most important thing to have for science class?
The Laboratory Notebook & Science Units: The science lab book is organized into several major units of study. The Art of Observing, The Nature of Science, How Dense Am I?, Movers and Shakers and more will be covered this year. Every science unit lasts 3-5 and includes each of the following parts. For a more detailed description please visit my web page or take a look at a science lab book:
· Critical Concepts
· Recommended Reading Assignments
· Key Vocabulary Terms
· Practice Problem Assignments and Due Dates
· Quizzes and Tests Dates
· In–Class Activities
Can grades be made Up?
While assessments can not be made up, all written sections of the Lab book grades are allowed to be redone for up to 100% of the original grade if completed within one week of the final due date. Lab book sections that just need to be glued in can be redone for up to 80% within that same time.
The lab book format is the same throughout the year.The lab book format is the same throughout the year. A Unit Summary Sheet is followed by the Unit Notes that should be copied from the board or online. Notes are followed by the individual In-Class activities listed on the bottom of the Unit Summary Sheet. There is at least one full lab for each unit, but not every activity uses a full lab write-up (described in detail on page 2-3 of the lab book.)
The lab book is the single most important science tool. While many assignments are completed there, I highly recommend that personal notes are taken, the glossary is completed and corrections are made whenever possible. You should see the lab book nearly every day.
Please be aware that I am available either 8th period every day or Period #3 on Wed/Friday for extra help.
What can be found on your Website and Edmodo Group?
· All Science Units
· Downloadable copies of Homework and Handouts
· Videos of certain lessons
· Classroom Notes
· Homework Calendar
· Direct link to Grade Portal
· Access to the SciWiki and Edmodo
· Links to topic related websites, resources and Much More…
Do we use a textbook? No. We are using Discovery Education Online which you can get to by clicking the link. Student can access this from any device and should use their username firstname.lastname@example.org with the Password: Student ID Number
What is your Grading Policy and what are the Portal Grade Categories
Grades are based on the total points received during the marking period. Each assigned work is evaluated and given a possible point value.
· Practice Problems are given out at the beginning of each unit. Each assignment is due in class on its due date and is checked as Completed or Not Completed. Each assignment will be supplemented with a video that will aid in its completion.
· Alternative Activities are student generated with a minimum of five being completed per quarter. Possibilities include, but are not limited to; Wiki updates, article summaries, photo collages, science fair entries, unit vocabulary definitions and many, many more.
· The lab book is the single most important science category and should be constantly worked on and improved. Any written lab book assignment can be redone one time for full 100% credit.
· Students are only allowed to turn in their lab book one time for each re-graded assignment, so every effort should be made to consult me to find the best way to make corrections. Assignments that only need to be glued into the lab book can be redone for up to 80%.
In-Class Activities Brief Constructed Responses (BCR)
· These are a variety of in-class assignments that students will complete primarily during class time.
Quizzes will be
given frequently and could be anywhere from 1-20 questions, but will
always be open lab book.
· Tests will occur at the end of each unit in addition to a cumulative quarterly test. Lab books cannot be used during tests
What is the best way to get ahold of you?
1. E-mail: email@example.com (This is the best way to contact me)
2. Telephone: 881-0460 ext: 51004
3. Web Page: www.shenet.org/middle/gowana/canderson/candersen.htm
4. Shenendehowa CSD - Home Page
5. Gowana Middle School - Staff Web Pages
6. Grade 6 Team 1 - Mr. Andersen