- Is there a limit to the length of a students’ bus ride. My grandchildren leave Tesago at 2:15 and the bus drops them at their house in the Oaks at 3:05. This is their regular time. I thought it seemed rather long
A. There are many factors that impact the school bus ride home. The NYS Commissioner of Education has ruled on numerous occasions that a bus ride of 1.5 hours is not unreasonable. The Shen school district attempts to keep bus rides under one hour when possible. We strive for both safety and efficiencies. Note, while […]
In an effort to improve communications the district has created this format to provide people with a place to get answers to questions and to address rumors and inaccurate information that sometimes circulates through the community.
NOT ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED. For individual or private concerns, you should contact the school or district office by phone. We will not answer comments about specific individuals by name.
Questions are e-mailed to the district’s public information office. The PI Officer determines who could best answer the question and directs the question to that person. Once the PIO receives the answer it is posted.
Latest Grapevine Posts:
- for the halloween dance in gowana can we have different types of best costumes like cutest costume, best group costume, scariest costume funniest costume etc. please.
A. Students should discuss their ideas with the student council advisors.
- I wasn’t in lunch at High School West today and didn’t get my t-shirt. Where should I go tomorrow to get it?
A. Students may pick up their pre-ordered Gang Green shirts in the HSW Main Office during their lunch period.
- I understand that there are three new options for caps and gowns for 2017 graduation. I have a number of questions: 1. Is there a fourth option to just stick with tradition? 2. What about those people that used the school-designated Laurens Studio for their senior pictures? Those s tudents already had photos taken with the traditional green and white options. That is unfair to them. 3. Why were students and parents not given the option to weigh in on the choices including the elimination of the Shen tradition? 4. Who made the arbitrary call on this change? 5. If the intention to allow for transgender students to feel they have the option to be true to their identity, then why not allow every student to choose between the solid green or the solid white, based on their own personal preference and identity and allow tradition to prevail for the masses?
A. No decision has been made. We are merely seeking feedback.
- Who is allowed to go to the homecoming dance? (like what grades?)
A. It has been cancelled.
- Is there any consideration of getting new lockers for 8th graders? The lockers are very confusing and most do not work. Thank You.
A. We are attempting to purchase one new set of lockers each year to replace the old ones.
- Love the new LED sign on route 146. I was wondering why there is a huge portion on the west side of the sign not working?
A. Thanks, the vendor is in the process of fixing it.
- How is it that my daughter is told that she can’t wear certain articles of clothing yet a staff member’s kid is walking around violating the code ?? Other kids are addressed by staff daily…it should be across the board or done away with …this is ridiculous ..special treatment.
A. This question was changed because we do not address questions about specific students. It is unfair and unkind. If you have a concern, please contact the principal.
- When are picture retakes at Acadia?
A. The district calendar can be accessed here: http://www.shenet.org/about-us/events-calendar/
- My seventh grader wants to be in the lego robotics club but we havent been able to find out how she can join. Thank you
A. Information about middle school clubs can be found here: http://www.shenet.org/MS-extra-curricular-clubs/
- To the post about the girl who doesn’t want to stand for the pledge because it is against her religion, are you really going to let her get away with that? I mean what kind of religion would prevent that and that is so disrespectful to everyone else, you are in America and they should assimilate to our culture which includes the Pledge of Allegiance. I was just wondering what you were going to do about it, thanks!
A. The best part of being American is the rights that are provided by our Constitution. The fact is, the Supreme Court ruled in 1943 that it is just as much a violation of your First Amendment rights for the government to make you say something you don’t want to say as it is for […]
- do you need a ticket for homecomeing
A. No, you can purchase tickets at the door.
- In regards to the issue of binders and your suggestion of consolidating them…how about telling teachers to no require separate binders for each class? There is no room in the lockers for the, the cost is ridiculous and the kids can’t carry them. I agree that an AM and PM binder is the way to go – it would be nice if the teachers did too.
A. Thanks for the feedback.
- What was the outcome of the “traffic study” this morning by individuals in hoodies? It happened this morning at Tamarac Elementary, but that Principal told them to leave.
A. Not sure why you think these two things are related but the district has hired a company to do a traffic study of the campus roads. They were here this week sitting in different locations with laptops monitoring traffic. If they had hoodies on…it may be because they were cold.
- I have a concern regarding an incident that was reported at Chango several days ago. It seems that according to WNYT news, that a similar incident occurred in the Brittonkill School District. Have any communications been relayed to the Shen community on this incident? Not just the Parents at the school, but the community as a whole?
A. The NYS Police confirmed that that incident was totally unrelated to Chango. We do not inform people of every incident that occurs on a daily basis in our campus and off-campus schools. We only send out information if a situation rises to the level of involving law enforcement or if gossip gets out of control. In the case […]
- Who makes decisions on the types of questions that are posted on this blog? It seems that many of these questions are ridiculous and borderline comical rather than informative. I have asked several valid questions regarding academics and safety which are paramount. However, the question regarding whether or not the Principal has bad days should not appear in this forum. Some of us are looking for “real” information.
A. Most questions are answered.
- This was on a news link from Wten at the bottom of an article regarding a similar incident in the Brittonkill School District: “An adult male was found outside Chango Elementary near the playground and taking pictures at the bus stop. When questioned, he told the school he was lost, from outside the Country and had never seen school buses before.” If this is true…were all district parents and staff informed?
A. The NYS Police confirmed that the two situations had absolutely nothing to do with each other.
- Hello, my daughter has recently injured her toe: it is black and blue and hurts to the point where she can’t walk on it. But I do not have enough time to take her to the doctor’s office. Is there a way for the nurse to excuse her from gym? or is she only excusable by a doctors note? She is in highschool.
A. She should see the school nurse and then the nurse can make a recommendation whether or not she needs to see a physician.
- Why does SHEN have so many TALENTED athletes who are GOOD enough to make a SHEN team, But are not Good enough to play in the actual game?
A. Equal playing time is not guaranteed in any sport.
- Why are Coaches children, and non team students aloud on the Football field sidelines ?
A. Some are team water boys and some are ball boys and some are just with their parents on the sidelines.
- How come there is a Spanish Club, French Club, and German Club but no Latin Club? I’m a Latin student and I think learning more about ancient civilization in Rome would be fun!!!
A. There is a very active Latin Club at the high school. For more information, see either Ms. Armstrong at High School West or Mrs. Armstrong at High School East.
- Is it possible to see your child’s NY state test? Not just the results. Thank you.
A. Yes, parents may request to see portions of their child’s NYS assessment. Please contact your child’s principal to make arrangements.
- Are the 7th graders getting to use chrombooks this year? We found them, along with the use of google classroom, very helpful in 6th grade. I heard second half of the year each student in 7th will receive one. Is this true?
A. Students in grades 7 & 8 will receive Chromebooks next year, in 2017-18. Thanks for sharing your feedback related to the success of students using Chromebooks in 6th grade.
- Why was Respect Day cancelled?
A. Respect Day was not cancelled. The club that was responsible for Respect Day, the Respect Club, failed to enlist enough members and did not have an advisor, so it disbanded.
- Why are students permitted to wear T-shirts with Confederate Flags on them on school property? The school policy should be Zero Tolerance of any foreign or domestic terroristic pictures, symbols or harassing paraphernalia, and words against people of different backgrounds, religions, cultures, etc. This is too easy… An environment full of educated people should not let this vile activity get a pass. Last night (Sept 13, 2016), my child (Shen HSE student, and, so-called, “African-American,” to the general public) was visibly disturbed, emotionally upset, and not behaving normally last night to the point that homework was not getting done, and dinner was not eaten. I asked, “What’s wrong?” My child (keeping all identity anonymous) said a white male student approached (my child) in the café wearing a T-shirt with a Confederate Flag printed on it, and he said, “See my shirt? It’s not racist. It’s a part of my heritage.” The shirt was described to me as black with a large Confederate Flag on the front, with words to the effect of “It’s not about racism… It’s about heritage.” My child had no comment. I applaud my child for telling me this, although it was very difficult to do so. My family and I are descendants of “Black Americans” who survived hundreds of years of slavery in the U.S. They were persecuted, oppressed and struggled through Reconstruction, The Black Codes, and The Civil Rights era. Even now we see news events, such as Dylan Roof, where that flag is used as a powerful icon to convey hatred for black people, and to spread more feelings, and acts of racism, oppression and division in America. Through it all, The Confederate Flag remains a stark reminder that Black people are hated in America. That flag is demeaning, and gives the impression of a hostile environment, and feelings that we should be treated as second-class citizens in America. The kid was right and wrong about his T-shirt. The Confederate Flag is about heritage, but that heritage, undeniable, includes racism towards Black people as well. Are kids walking through the halls at Shen with Swartz Stickers, too? It’s the same thing… horribly offensive!!! I hope the school’s administration does the right thing and not allow the Confederate Flag, nor impressions of it on school property.
A. While we may have philosophical agreements, and even differences on matters of importance and sensitivity like this issue, the fact that individuals have a right to wear certain clothing still exists. The building administrators constantly monitor similar type matters to ensure the actions do not cause a significant distraction in the school environment. We trust […]
- How much is the entry ticket for shen homecoming football game
A. Five dollars.
- Why are Karigon students told they can’t run during recess? That energy will come out either on the playground or in the classroom.
A. Students are allowed to run on the playground. They cannot play chasing games during recess since it can become unsafe.
- I am extremely concerned about bathrooms being locked in High School West during the school day. There was an incident that a child had to use that bathroom at the end of the school day and ALL bathrooms were locked? What is the reason for this? I thought access to a bathroom was a basic human right?
A. The bathrooms in the front hallway are locked at the end of the day when the monitors have to leave the posts in order to supervise dismissal. (The bathroom by the cafeteria is reopened once a monitor returns to this post.) If a student needs to use the restroom during this 10 minute window, […]
- what’s the deal with food and the benches at HSE? why is the no food rule so strictly enforced this year, even if the student is being clean and not leaving any trace of food? I, as well as many others I know of have taken to not eating in school just because cafeterias are an all around unpleasant situation. just want to know what happened & why the rule changed?
A. Students are not allowed to eat on the benches, just like they are not allowed to eat in the hallways.
- I would like to know if would be possible for a parent to order food from Panera Bread and have it delivered to school at lunch time to a student/group of students in HSW. Thank you
A. No, however a parent/guardian may bring food in to the main office for their child to pick up for his/her lunch period.
- Is the SHEN weight room open to alumni?
A. It is only open to current students. It is utilized by students from 6:00 am in the morning until 8 pm in the evening.
- Based on your response to the last question: A. Tryouts will be in early- to mid-March. Modified softball is for gr. 7, 8, and 9. JV and Varsity are for students in grade 9-12. Students are placed based on ability. Does that mean someone in grade 11 or 12 can play on JV instead of getting cut from Varsity especially if they played on that team in years prior? I have never seen SHEN retain a player on JV that was in grades 11 or 12, even though they may have made JV in 9th or 10th grade.
A. While rare in our school, a junior can be placed on a junior varsity team. Those decisions are done by the coaches within the individual programs.
- Why can athlets wear their uniform that break dress code to school and don’t get yelled at ,but a normal kid who wears the same thing will
A. The athletes wear uniforms that conform to the dress code. They wear additional clothing under their uniforms.
- Is it too late for my child to sign up for junior citizen pass
A. No. Students can apply any time for the Junior Citizenship Pass by submitting the Google Form, available at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/eoG0FEa8uOsUGcWq1
- Can non SHEN students play on Shen sports teams or join Shen extra curricular clubs if they attend private schools or are home schooled but live in the Shen district?
A. No, not allowable by law and/or policy. From NYSPHSAA Handbook: BONA FIDE STUDENTS: Regulation of the Commissioner of Education: A contestant must be a bona fide student of the high school represented and must be taking at least four subjects including Physical Education.
- On the Shen High School page under clubs there is a link to the High School Drama club. When viewing the page these is a message about the prior director and commenting that he was not retained as the director for this year’s drama because he is not a teacher in the high school. Is this really appropriate? I feel that it is not professional for a teacher to post something like this that is accessible on the shen website complaining about why they are no longer serving in a certain job. I rather just see information about this year’s drama.
A. Thanks you for making us a ware of it.
- I’ve noticed a lot of local school districts posting on social media regarding National Merit Scholarship Semi-finalists. Did any students from Shen make the cut?
A. Yes, the most in the Capital Region. It is posted on the home page under news.
- do you know if the high school or middle school musicals are open to student assistant directors?
A. Formal director/assistant director positions are appropriated to staff, however, the director may choose to have one or more students assist as needed.
- Why is it that elementary teachers are not permitted to teach new material while students are at school chorus practice, but can teach while students are at orchestra and band? That seems unfair to the students who want to do those activities but then have to make up work.
A. As many or even most students participate in chorus, teachers are often left with very few students in the classroom. Teachers make decisions about how best to use chorus, band or orchestra time based on the numbers and needs of students who remain in the classroom.
- Why aren’t there homecoming t-shirts this year?
A. The SFA Senate and Class Council asked that in lieu of selling T-Shirts, we just sell a $5 ticket to homecoming to help benefit local charities. This year, Senate and Class Council chose Captain Youth and Family Services and Shen helping Shen. Tickets will be on sale in HSW starting Tuesday during lunches.
- my child has signed up for drivers ed for the fall and the information said they would have access to their scheduled times listed on the portal prior to the orientation. Where and when will we be able to see this assignment?
A. As of 9/20/16, the Driver Ed schedules for the fall program are available on the portal.
- Do I need an adult to go to homecoming?
A. Middle school, elementary and preschool children require an adult to enter.
- Is there really a pool on the third floor of high school east?
A. No, there is a pool attached to the middle schools and there is no third floor at HS East.
- where can we get shen plains men bumper stickers ?
A. Different groups sell them at different times. I don’t know of any being sold currently.
- I appreciate all that the school district does to keep our children safe on a daily basis. It is a huge task and everyone should be commended. I would like to make a suggestion that I think would be helpful. In regards to the recent rumor of a kid bringing a gun to school, it may have been more helpful if after speaking with the student and determining that there was no threat, sending an SIS at that point. In this day and age of social media, this kind of thing spreads like wildfire. If parents had known last night, they could have talked with their children prior to the school day and kids wouldn’t haven’t been freaked out and texting their parents. Again, I appreciate all that everyone does and I know that this is new territory and unfortunately something we have to deal with.
A. We always try to communicate as quickly as possible, but it can take some time to put gather and report accurate information. We appreciate people being patient and not participating in gossip which only makes matters worse.
- The practice of granting religious holidays off is archaic and discriminatory. I understand that Christmas is a Federal Holiday, but Yom Kippur and Good Friday are not. If Shenendehowa is truly committed to culturally responsive practice, It will modernize the school calendar and stop giving preference to certain religions, as many schools in New York State already have.
A. Thanks for sharing. All students have the right to celebrate religious holidays with their families as deemed appropriate and the district policies are respectful of those choices.
- I have a masters degree in elementary ed and haven’t in 2 years ever been called for an interview. I thought i would try a monitor job and still no interview. I know of someone without a college degree who got called for the moniter jobs. Why am. I not being called for an interview?
A. At the elementary schools, we have more than 300 applications for each teaching position. If you have not considered substitute teaching in the district, although not a guarantee for an interview, you can access information on the employment page of the website. All of our teachers are required to have a masters degree, dual certification […]
- How does one start a school club?
A. Talk to your principal.
- When does the after school food start in the satellite cafeteria?
A. It has already started.
- I have 2 questions: 1) where do I go to update my email address with sis messenger? 2) How do I sign up for text messages for class of 2017 info? Thank you.
A. You may update your email address in the Counseling, College and Career Center. For Remind: text @shen2017 to 81010.
- I may be misinformed but I was told no backpacks for HS students. This is not practical in the East building when the school is too big to visit your locker between classes. I was told that the reason for policy change was concerns over drugs. Let’s face it, drug dealers will just find another way to conceal their stuff while everyone else will have to suffer. Will this policy be reconsidered?
A. You are misinformed. The practice is just for HSW due to safety concerns in crowded hallways.
- Why are this years 9th graders not allowed to carry backpacks throughout the day but students in grades 10-12 can?
A. The physical environment of the two buildings is very different. The hallways in HSW are narrower. Last year, we had several students and staff injured, by accident of course, by swinging book bags as students traversed the hallways. In addition, the size of the building as it relates to students’ schedules in HSW does […]
- Which parts of HSE have AC?
A. There are many parts that have AC and some that have cooling units. The newer areas tend to have AC.
- Is there a medical club in highschool? If so, can where can I get the information ?
A. There is not a medical club at the high school.
- What is the earliest time a student can be dropped off at High School West in the morning?
A. That would be 7 a.m., unless they have permission from faculty/administration.
- Shouldn’t the ninth graders at least be given a chance to carry around there backpacks in school. It’s not fair you’re literally judging us and you haven’t even met us yet. Let us carry out bags and if something happens then take it away.
A. Following several instances of students and staff sustaining injuries after accidentally being hit by students’ backpacks while moving about High School West’s narrow hallways between class periods during the 15-16 school year, the joint 9th Grade and Environment Committees decided—in the interest of safety—to no longer allow students to wear/carry their backpacks in High […]
- Has any thought been given to revising the school supplies lists for the middle schools. After buying items some teachers have added materials or said to disregard what was asked for on the list and asked us to get something different.
A. The supply lists are reviewed by the teachers on a yearly basis.
- The Vice Principal of Koda said that if we are late to lunch, then we will get reported. I am an eighth grader, and I have an Acadia class before lunch. It takes me about 4 minutes to get my lunchbox and switch binders before walking to lunch. I cannot get stuff during lunch because it is not allowed, so how will that work? Thanks!
A. Students are expected to arrive to each scheduled location on time. If a student has an extenuating circumstance such as traveling a great distance, the receiving location will work with that student permitting flexibility in arrival time. It is imperative that students are accounted for at all times throughout the school day.
- I got an email saying my application was currently under review. Does this mean I was bejng considered for a job? I never heard back. Thanks
A. All applications through the ON-Line application system (OLAS) are reviewed and candidates are contacted if they will be invited for an interview within two weeks of the close of the posting.
- Is the school thinking about adding a small google calendar to the district website? That way in the morning students can tell what event is happening, what month, week, day, and time. Colored code each of the schools so that way you can tel which school is doing what. I have relatives whose school does that and they are very organized.
A. There already is a google calendar on the home page.
- While I’m completely STOKED about getting a SIS Message about the FIRST VARSITY FOOTBALL GAME OF THE YEAR, it would be equally AWESOME to hear about when the Orchestra recitals are. It would be TERRIFIC to know when the Drama Club performs. It would STUPENDOUS to know when the Battle of the Books takes place too
A. Any of those can be sent out, it is up to the staff member (advisor, administrator) to do so.
- We saw the nasty way one a Middle Schooler referred to 6th graders as “little nuisances”. Perhaps you should have some standards in place for answering and posting questions and comments. It’s really not a matter of censorship, it’s a matter of learning how to share thoughts in a civil and professional way.
A. You are absolutely correct. Typically I add a statement about civility but I forgot this time.
- Do you think Mr. Flynt has bad days? He always tells us to make it a great day, but what about him?
A. Like everyone, he also has bad days, but his best days are when students work hard, cooperate and treat others with respect.
- Who is writing the responses to the GrapeVine questions?
A. A lot of different people.
- Teachers are forcing my daughter to stand for the pledge and that is against her rights. Is something being done about this?
A. Talk to your child’s teacher or principal
- I heard a few juniors were parking at the HSE parking lot without passes. Are there monitors that check for passes? The cars dont have inentification on them because they were removed due to the students wanting to stay anonymous. What can be done about this? Will they be towed? Thanks!
A. Yes, monitors check passes. Towing is a last resort.
- If my child is in the Y care AM program at Chango, what time is school breakfast served there?
A. Chango students (y-time students, bus students, walkers) may begin eating breakfast in the cafeteria beginning at 8:45am.
- Why are there no recycling bins on athletic fields? They should be there.
A. This has been tried repeatedly over the years and people simply use any receptacle as a trash receptacle. The recycling company will not take these once non-recyclables and garbage are mixed in.
- FYI if you can share with the right people, bees are terrible on the bleachers at the football field- home side.
A. The bleachers as well as the fencing are regularly checked for nests and, if any are found, they are removed. According to our pest control experts, there are two issues… the large pine tree behind the bleachers is a huge draw for bees due to the large amount of sap flowing this time of year and the many […]
- How do I access previous year’s grades for my student? I use the parent portal and cannot locate them. I have also looked using my pc and the infinite campus to no avail. Where are these locate? Thank you
A. You can’t use the portal to see prior year grades. The portal is a live year view only. The new school year begins in July, so the new calendar becomes active then.
- Why are HSW students not allowed to carry backpacks?
A. Following several instances of students and staff sustaining injuries after accidentally being hit by students’ backpacks while moving about High School West’s narrow hallways between class periods, the joint 9th Grade and Environment Committees decided in the interest of safety to no longer allow students to wear/carry their backpacks in High School West during the […]
- I just went to pay my tax bill online and find it interesting that it will cost me 3% , plus a one time fee of $0.50 to do so. It costs me less to pay my bill a month late with a 2% penalty than it does to pay on time on line. Why exactly is that? Afterall I am saving everyone time, paper, gasoline and money transferring the funds rather than doing it in person.
A. We offer the option of paying taxes by credit card as convenience to our taxpayers. However, the credit card companies assess a fee to those who use this option. The fee is not paid to the district, it is paid directly to the credit card company.
- how do i join team 20 robotics
A. There will be an informational meeting for interested students and their parents on Wednesday September 21 in the High School East Auditorium at 7:00 PM.
- Why are the Intermediate Wing Special Education and AIS classrooms at Skano allowed to have furniture – fouton couch, bean bags, etc? I thought furniture was regulated due to student health and safety – viruses, bacteria, germs, illnesses.
A. All classrooms have a variety of furniture to meet the needs of the students at that grade level. Any furniture or equipment that is purchased for student use needs to be approved by the head custodian to ensure it meets our safety and fire retardant requirements. If you have further concerns, please speak with […]
- Are you allowed to wear hats in High School West?
A. Yes, students may wear hats in the halls as long as it abides by the dress code. However, faculty and staff have the authority within their classrooms to require students to remove non-religious or non-medical headgear.
- What happened to the Shen code of conduct for the athletic department? Recently there was a well publicized fight that involved football players. Why are they still being allowed to represent our school after they demonstrated such acts?
A. Student discipline records are private, however, the code was enforced and the students served the appropriate consequence.
- Does Shen offer archery in the high school? I’m going into East next year. I noticed last year we did a one day archery “unit” but I was wondering if we ever do a true archery unit or if there are any after school options for this. If not, is it possible to set one up? Thanks!
A. Physical Education will do archery as a unit in the Fall.
- can a 6th grader play a modified sport
A. Per New York State Public High School Athletics Association rules, modified and interscholastic sports are for students in grades 7-12.
- Why isn’t there Boys Freshman Volleyball. There were almost 40 players at the tryouts for JV (they only took 18) and a good number of them were Freshman.
A. The Suburban Council does not offer that level in boys volleyball. There are no schools in Section 2 that have freshmen volleyball.
- why do they not use the scoreboard for Modified or Freshman football and is only on for JV and Varsity.
A. We put the board on to show the score, but do not use it for time at the lower levels.
- I am in 8th grade and I wanted to try out for girl’s softball for the 2016-17 school year. Around what month or season will the tryouts be in? And what is the difference between JV, V, and Modified?
A. Tryouts will be in early- to mid-March. Modified softball is for gr. 7, 8, and 9. JV and Varsity are for students in grade 9-12. Students are placed based on ability.
- Hi, I was wondering if you have to tryout for girls volleyball in eighth grade and if so, when are tryouts? Thanks.
A. Modified Volleyball started on September 1st. Dates are always posted on Shen Athletics website.
- why don’t students get school off on eid? muslim students can’t attend morning prayers with their families because they have to go to school. i’m a junior that’s been dealing with this since kindergarten and it’s really upsetting to not be able to celebrate my religious holidays, especially when christian and jewish students get days off to celebrate theirs.
A. Just because it is not a day off for all students does not mean that Muslim student cannot have the day off to observe the holiday. Please see BOE Policy 8360 and corresponding regulation on Religious Observances.
- I don’t understand how my teachers just feel like it’s ok to call me “ma’am” or any other female pronoun. We live in the 21st century and the teachers are acting like they can just assume my gender. Are you kidding me? Just because I fit the stereotype of a girl doesn’t mean you can call me a girl.. that’s completely offensive. And “ladies and gentleman”?? how is that still being used today. That is such an old expression and does not accept the fact that there are more than two genders. I find this completely ridiculous and it shows that our teachers are uneducated. I believe all teachers at Shen should have to take a gender studies class so they can fix their problematic ways. I know of multiple students who are deeply affected by the teachers discriminatory statements about gender.
A. If you are offended by a particular salutation, simply inform the person and ask to be called something else. Communications and open dialogue is a necessity in a civil society.
- Has anyone notable ever graduated from this school?
A. Every graduate is notable.
- Has Shen considered supplying free femine supplies in the bathrooms at Shen? It is difficult and stressful for girls to carry these supplies with them during the day.
A. No, by law we cannot supply free consumable, personal products.
- My daughter graduated this past June and I saw that each of the graduates’ pictures were being taken as they left the stage by a professional photographer. I have not received anything from any studio asking if we would like to purchase these pictures, but would certainly like to. Do you have any information regarding these pictures? thank you.
A. You can contact Lauren Studios.
- I am looking for tutoring services especially in Math within the district, we are on subsidized lunch program. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
A. I am sorry, but we don’t keep or provide a list of paid tutoring services.
- I can’t seem to find MS Orchestra concert dates (Koda 6, in particular) on the district calendar. Am I missing something or are they not there. Thanks!
A. They should be in there, you are just going to have to look around some (or e-mail the orchestra teacher).
- Is there any way you can add the “class period” times” on the bottom of the schools’ main pages? You have the start and dismissal times but I always need to search for the actual class period times. It’s not on the student schedule on the portal either. This would be really helpful for when a doctor or dentist appt needs to be made during the school day. I always try to plan around core classes and aim for lunch or a study hall, but finding the class times is like a needle in a haystack. I thought it used to be on the main pages a few years ago, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
A. You can find the link school schedules or periods on the parent or student resource pages or do a search on the word period or schedule. It all brings you to this link: http://www.shenet.org/about-us/school-schedules/
- Help! I can’t find the middle school building map on the shen website.
A. No building maps are on the website. You can get one in the main office of your school.