- Why do I need to go to a separate website to find out the musical being performed by our high school students in March? People in the general community have no way to know about a new website.
A. All of the clubs/sports team webpages are on separate websites. As the musical gets closer, the district will provide information on the home page.
In an effort to improve communications the district has created this format to provide people with a place to get answers to questions and to address rumors and inaccurate information that sometimes circulates through the community.
NOT ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED. For individual or private concerns, you should contact the school or district office by phone. We will not answer comments about specific individuals by name.
Questions are e-mailed to the district’s public information office. The PI Officer determines who could best answer the question and directs the question to that person. Once the PIO receives the answer it is posted.
Latest Grapevine Posts:
- What are the grade ranges for the high achievement and achievement lists for middle school?
A. 85-90 Achievement (honor roll), 90-100 High Achievement (high honor roll)
- What are the requirements to be valedictorian and salutatorian? When do the decisions come out?
A. Please see the BOE Policy 7225 on Student Recognitions of Graduations – Selection of the Valedictorian/Salutatorian: https://drive.google.com/a/shenschools.org/file/d/0ByBDshT1lZuebkJ2MlpkNUQ2emM/view
- I had a question about weight of classes. If a student is accelerated in a class (for example, taking the next level math class) do they get any extra weight for that course? For example, I have heard that they get a 1.03 course weight for acceleration, even if it is not honors.
A. Please see the BOE Policy on weighted grading for class rank: https://drive.google.com/a/shenschools.org/file/d/0ByBDshT1lZueX01kcEhhM2dGeUU/view
- How can I change my emergency contact information in the parent portal ?
A. Through the main office of your child’s school.
- What font is used for the Shen logo (the cursive one mostly used for athletic stuff)?
A. That font is actually a drawing, not a font.
- How and when are MS students chosen for the MS Honor society?
A. Please see the clubs webpage for information: http://www.shenet.org/MS-extra-curricular-clubs/
- I have been unable to view the BOE meetings online on the live streaming link for the past few meetings. Is this a known issue? Will the minutes of the January meetings be posted soon?
A. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. We moved to the YouTube livestreaming platform for board meetings but forgot to fix the link. The board meetings can be viewed on our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwEosMyAtHvksGvwcw2mOvg
- There will be a quiz tomorrow on the Tang Dynasty of China. Use notes on page 45 of your binder to study. Can you tell me which one of my kids this applies to? thanks,…
A. More than likely your kids will know who it applies to. We send out periodic reminders to staff to remember to put their name in the SIS message.
- Can you please tell me is there any truth that public schools are seriously looking into doing away for February Break Week going forward into the 2016/2017 calendar year?
A. February break is on the proposed 2016-17 calendar that will go to the board for adoption in March.
- Why can’t someone direct traffic ON campus at the 146 entrance? You can’t get out at the split between the elementary and middle/high schools.
A. We simply don’t have the security staff to handle every traffic issue on campus.
- Shen needs to seriously re-evaluate their modified sports programs. Nearly every other district in the area allows 7th graders to participate in modified sports and in many cases has more than one modified team (7/8 & 8/9 teams). Why not let our kids play? I’m sure coaches could be found to support these teams.
A. In the last ten years, Shen has added an additional modified field hockey team, an additional girls modified lacrosse team, a modified boys lacrosse team, boys and girls modified cross country, boys and girls modified track and field, a girls modified volleyball team, a boys modified volleyball team and a second modified football team. […]
- I am so curious…Why are some of the Shen buses wearing yellow “bibs”?
A. The “yellow bib” you see on some of the school buses is designed to help diesel engines maintain temperature. Diesel engines are designed to run cool. In the winter when temperatures drop, we need the motor to maintain a higher temperature in order to provide better heating for the passengers and for the motor […]
- It is easy to find out information about college planning or requirements for an advanced Regents diploma; however, no where on the website for the HS guidance/counseling center or in the Program of Studies is there anything about requirements/expectations or how and when scheduling for the BOCES Career & Technical School happens. The link on the Program of Studies doesn’t even work
A. Scheduling for vocational programs happens at the same time as scheduling for courses on campus. The counselors are starting to meet with 9th-11th graders this week in the process. Thank you for notifying us about the link. We will check into it and get it corrected.
- The Shen School District recently granted permission to the Clifton Park Baseball League to use the logo and name “Plainsmen”. That baseball league is now advertising they are a “feeder” program for the school baseball team. Isn’t the school district putting themselves at risk by allowing a private organization to appear to be affiliated with the school system? If there are incidents with coaches from this league in front of other teams from other areas, it will reflect on the school district negatively. In addition, this gives the appearance to the kids in the Round Lake Baseball League (200+ kids) and the Halfmoon Baseball League (400 + kids), all of which reside in the Shen school system that the school will only allow kids on their school baseball team if they came thru the Clifton Park Baseball League.
A. The Shenendehowa School District did not recently grant permission for the use of our logo to any organization. The use of any of our logos requires approval from the Board of Education.
- About how many people got cut from the girls green modified lacrosse last year? How many people tried out? What are the requirements to do modified lacrosse?
A. No cuts were made for the Girls Modified Green Lacrosse team last year. We had twenty girls on the team. Basic knowledge of a sport helps, but it is not a requirement to try out for a modified team.
- When are honors / accelerated recommendations for 7th grade classes made and sent home? When do kids pick what language to take for 7th grade?
A. May. An SIS message went out this week.
- What’s the grade to get a award for graduation
A. Special recognition is given to students with a cumulative weighted GPA of 95%.
- What national honor societies are there?
A. National Honor Society, Art Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, World Languages Honor Society and Math Honor Society.
- Can there be a sophomore give back days or more opportunities live this for other high school students?
A. Yes. Please consult your class advisor or see Mr. Flynt.
- Which bathrooms were redone in the highschool by art honor society and what were the changes made?
A. Two bathrooms; one male and one female bathroom were repainted.
- When does national honor society start for high schoolers and how does one get in?
A. Inductions are held in the fall for seniors and the criteria is based on academic achievement, leadership, service and character.
- Are there any policies towards locker decorating?
A. At the middle schools, it varies slightly for each school. Students should stop by their Main Office for specific guidelines. At the high school, students are allowed to decorate the insides of lockers, provided that no permanent ink is used.