- Do you think the school would allow a female football player on the Shen football team, if they happen to play good enough?
A. Females are allowed to play football under the NYSPHSAA rule called mixed competition. As part of this, females must pass a physical fitness test. For further information, contact the athletic office.
In an effort to improve communications the district has created this format to provide people with a place to get answers to questions and to address rumors and inaccurate information that sometimes circulates through the community.
NOT ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED. For individual or private concerns, you should contact the school or district office by phone. We will not answer comments about specific individuals by name.
Questions are e-mailed to the district’s public information office. The PI Officer determines who could best answer the question and directs the question to that person. Once the PIO receives the answer it is posted.
Latest Grapevine Posts:
- Is there currently, or will Shen ever have a shooting sports team or club of any kind (3 position rifle, trap, etc)? I think it would be a great opportunity for students, especially given the limited number or shooting ranges nearby.
A. We are currently not looking at this as a club or sport.
- On my school supply list it says that the gowanna middle schoolers need read 180 44 students. What is this? And do I need to buys the supplies for it? Thanks
A. Only students in Read 180 or Systems 44 need to buy the supplies listed for those courses.
- If a student is attending a period 0 class in a middle school, what time can he be dropped off?
A. A student can be dropped off in the Gowana Cafeteria after 7:30am.
- What’s read 180?
A. Read 180 is a specialized reading program for students who require specialized instruction beyond the District’s core reading program. More information about the program can be found following the link below: http://www.hmhco.com/products/read-180/family/
- Who will be the freshman baseball coach in spring 2017?
A. Candidates for the freshmen baseball head coach position will be interviewed in the fall.
- Will there be a modified baseball team?
A. Not this year.
- Regarding the Orenda Graduation, it is absolutely false that all parents may partake in dinner, regardless of cost. While PTA and other sources have offset the cost for some, when my son had his graduation, I saw a number of parents leave after the ceremony (before dinner) because they had not paid for the dinner. Maybe they had too much pride to ask for “charity.” No parent should be put in that situation to begin with! Why can’t all schools have a standardized graduation, accessible to all and at no cost to the student or parent? Wouldn’t that be the right thing to do? We can’t claim to be mindful of socioeconomic differences then ask parents to either pay $40 for dinner not eat dinner, or accept charity. Because honestly, that is what you are outlining. It just shouldn’t happen!
A. Please share your concern with the Orenda Principal, he will share it with the Orenda Partnership Team, the PTA and 5th grade teachers.
- Why isn’t the most recent STA contract posted on the website?
A. We are in the processing of finalizing details with STA, it will be posted soon.
- When will Shen start using an online substitute program like most districts are using? It isn’t practical for subs to wait around for a call when there are programs and systems available that will allow them to secure sub jobs quicker. This will reduce the amount of times there aren’t enough subs for classrooms, since the sub caller usually calls at the last minute. Any updates on this?
A. We will be moving to an online system this school year. Information will be provided for teachers and substitutes in the upcoming weeks. If you are interested in substitute teaching at Shenendehowa, please submit an application through OLAS.
- Can high school coaches, during the school season instruct specific Clifton Park affiliated sports programs for their teams? Wouldn’t that be unfair to athletes that do no play on those specific teams during school tryouts?
A. Coaches are encouraged to get involved with community and youth programs in the off-season. If a student-athlete wishes to play for a certain club or team, that’s their decision.
- What’s the policy for cell phones in High School East and West? Are we allowed to use our phones in the lunchroom? Do we use them often in class?
A. They are able to be used in the cafeteria.
- How is the dress code enforced in the middle school, and what are the punishments for violating it?
A. Students who violate the dress code are sent to the office and/or asked to change their clothes.
- how big of a backpack will students need for 9th grade?
A. An average size backpack that would allow students to transport several binders and books to and from school would pretty much do. Please note that students at High School West will not be allowed to keep their backpacks on them during the school day.
- How to achieve a Superintendent’s award at the end of 8th grader?
A. The student had to have a 90% cumulative average for all of 6th and 7th grade and the first three quarters of grade 8.
- I thought, with the new portal, we’d be able to separate the calendar by schools but I don’t see that available. Is that something you anticipate happening soon? The current calendar is really difficult in that way. It would easier if things could even be separated by font color.
A. Not at this time.
- I see some MS band and orchestra concerts listed but each year there seems to be shifting and adding of dates. When can we expect that to be solidified? I understand the difficulty of scheduling but it’s something we need to ask because of out of state grandparents. Thanks!
A. The calendar is always subject to change. The most up-to-date calendar is the one posted on the website: http://www.shenet.org/about-us/events-calendar/
- Where would it be possible to obtain a map of one of the schools?
A. You may be able to get one in the main office.
- In response to a parent who wrote on the Grapevine on July 11, 2016, regarding 8th grade t-shirts for the Great Escape trip at Acadia. The Acadia Middle School PTA would have absolutely bought the 8th grade t-shirts had we known we were supposed too! No one ever said anything to our board about purchasing t-shirts. In the 6th grade, the teams were responsible for purchasing t-shirts for their teams. Just want to make sure you are blaming the correct party involved and get your facts straight before making accusations that may be unwarranted.
A. Thanks for the feedback.
- Do we have a school district foundation?
A. Yes, the Shenendehowa Educational Foundation: http://shenedfoundation.org/
- If senior portraits are taken over the summer at the school, approx. when will we see them?
A. That is a question for the portrait company you used.
- I am not receiving Shen’s SIS messages anymore. Who should I contact to make sure the school has my correct email address?
A. The main office at the school.
- What are the maximum class sizes by grade for elementary grades?
A. That is listed in the BOE Policy 8104 posted here: https://drive.google.com/a/shenschools.org/file/d/0ByBDshT1lZueemFhTHR2YUdaUk0/view
- As I look through my child’s Karigon school supply list, I noticed a $10 fee for “special activities”. Perplexed on what special activities are being done, I looked at other supply list in Karigon and throughout the district. Schools like Tesago and Arongen do not ask for extra money. Why is my child asked to send in extra? What special activities will this money be used for?
A. The district policy on school supplies states: Teachers may request up to $10 during the course of the year for special projects that will complement the curriculum or for student recognition activities. Grade level activity accounts must be established with the district for deposit and use of these funds. See the complete policy here: http://www.shenet.org/school-supplies/
- Why is there no information posted about Shen Golf ?
A. We post anything a staff member sends us.
- When will school calendars be sent in the mail. I realize it is available online, but prefer the hard copy.
A. They were mailed this week.
- Where can I find a list of the available electives? I tried searching it in the search bar, but I could not find it. Thanks!
A. In the program of studies: http://www.shenet.org/academics/.
- Why doesn’t Shen have a marching band? With a school this size I am surprised we don’t have one and marching bands are cool.
A. We have answered this many times. Any time it has been explored, there was not enough interest among the participants.
- i heard on Instagram that Shen is banning leggings is that true????
A. In general, no. It depends on what you call leggings. The Code of Conduct says: Student’s dress, grooming and appearance, jewelry and accoutrements (such as spiked belts, spiked bracelets, spiked choker collars, or long hanging chains), makeup and nails shall be safe and appropriate and shall not disrupt, distract or interfere with the educational process or participation […]
- When and where do the 6th graders get their supply list
A. All school supply lists are posted on the website at http://www.shenet.org/school-supplies/
- I am entering 9th grade at West and for my elective I am taking Electronic Media. In 10th grade, do I have to continue in this field of study or can I change to something different?
A. That is something that you need to talk to your counselor about.
- Where can one find the supply list for high school west ninth graders?
A. All school supply lists are a link off of the Parent Resource page: http://www.shenet.org/school-supplies/
- When will the new STA contract be posted on the website?
A. When it is complete.
- Will Shen be increasing the number of days a non-certified substitute teacher can sub during the year? NY State regents has just allowed up to 90 days: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/State-Regents-relax-long-term-substitute-teacher-8377022.php If so, how many days will a non-certified teacher be able to sub for at shen?
A. Our first priority will be to hire certified instructional substitutes in the classroom. We will allow non-certified substitutes to work up to 90 days when they are needed. All substitutes must apply through the Office of Human Resources and complete the on-line HAZCOM each year. Information regarding substitutes can be located at http://www.shenet.org/employment/.
- I personally think it is not ok that the gowana vice principal was on the announcements today and said that hillary clinton was going to be president. He should not be saying this on the announcements and making kids think it is true. He could be pressuring kids to think Hillary Clinton will be the president and they will think the election already happened. Thanks for your time.
A. This is not accurate. He acknowledged the first woman candidate to secure the nomination and discussed other historical female candidates.
- How come the math algebra regents is only counting for 10% of final average when the form that came home said high school credit exams are 20% of final average ?
A. The Program of Studies indicates that Regents exams in math are 10% of the overall grade
- Where is the food for school lunches provided from?
A. We use two local distributors Sysco and US Foods.
- When did Shen get an SUV “bus”?
A. Shen purchased two SUV buses as part of the 2015-2016 school bus referendum.
- I’ve heard that there have been students from other schools that were able to sneak into HSE for the entire day without being noticed. How is this possible? I thought that the school was secure.
A. More than likely it is a rumor. However, safety is everyone’s responsibility. If you see something, say something.
- I feel that in a school as big as Shen it would be expected for distance learning to be offered especially if another school has already made arrangements with the student. Also many of the classes the students can take in high school seem to be focused as “city’ jobs such as a doctor, lawyer,or teacher. Not all of these jobs are going to pertain to every child who wants to do something different. On top of that now my child will need to go to college longer, pay more, and take more classes that my child should have been offered in high school. If education is your main theme in Shen you must help every child succeed.
A. If a specific curricula need is not being met, please discuss it with the building principal.
- Can you please validate the equal pay that bus drivers and per diem nurses make for the Shenendehowa School District? This is appalling!! Disabled kids are mainstreamed . Kids have asthma, diabetes, chronic illnesses and have numerous meds to be administered. Bus drivers are responsible for bringing children to and from school safely They do a great job, but their education and knowledge are nowhere comparable to that of a nurse. Do not respond with “Thanks “or a dismissive response. Many well qualified would respond to nursing opportunities if the pay was appropriate.
A. Bus drivers, like nurses, are respected as professionals in their respective domains. While the roles are different, they both require due care and diligence. All those kids described below also ride buses home. The safe transporting of students is an important function. The district’s compensation of both are comparable to market rates and commensurate […]
- What is the expectation for teachers posting grades in their gradebooks? My kid has 2 grades posted this quarter in band, both of those from the first half of the quarter and was told no more grades would be posted. He goes to band every day so this can’t possibly represent the full effort of his work this quarter. And he has no individual lesson grades posted either, which either indicates a lack of effort by the teacher to provide any feedback to the kids on their progress or that they did not receive any instrument lessons at all this quarter. How are kids supposed to improve if they receive no feedback from their teachers on their progress over the course of the quarter? Seems to me some teachers are not doing their jobs!
A. Matters of grading are obviously done differently based on the class and the workload. If there is a concern about a lack of grade or information to monitor a child’s progress, please communicate directly with the teacher, or if necessary, with the building principal.
- Shen needs to consider some of their hiring choices regarding hall monitors. Some of them are very disrespectful to the students and don’t foster the same learning environment as the rest of Shenendehowas staff.” Saw this as comment under budget vote and sadly all to true. Will Shen address this going forward?
A. Thanks for the feedback. If a student encounters such behaviors, please immediately report it to a building administrator. Thanks.
- When will the student naviance gpa be updated for the 2015-2016 school year?
A. Sometime in August.
- Is there a summer assignment for Cult/Lit? Where would this info be available?
A. It’s available in the HS Counseling office. Summer hours for the Counseling Center are from 8:30-12 and 1:00-3:30.
- Why can’t students get up right after they are done with the Regents Exam? Why do they have to wait 2 hours to get up?
A. This is a State Education requirement that students remain in the exam for two hours.
- How do I get my diploma if I didn’t go to graduation?
A. You may pick it up in the main office.
- How do you go about signing up for the text messages regarding a particular Shenendehowa graduating class (ie. graduating class of 2017, 2018 , 2019 etc.)? I believe you have to text a code to 81010, but I can’t locate anything on the Shen website. Thank you!
A. Please speak with your Class Assistant Principal.
- Will there be international student exchange trips next year? i.e. GAPP
A. There will be trips planned for students to travel abroad. Information will be forthcoming from trip advisors once the trips receive preliminary approval.
- Congrats to all of the 2016 grads. I was curious about the purple ribbons that a lot of the grads were wearing on graduation. Thank you.
A. The purple ribbons were in memory of a student who was a member of the graduating class who transferred to another school at the end of her sophomore year. She passed away last year.
- Can 11th graders participate in the Inventors competition at Shenendehowa or is it just for middle schoolers?
A. The Shen Inventors Program is a PTA enrichment program. The NYS Invention Convention is for students K-8.
- Can I drop a high school elective now or do I have to wait for school to start?
A. You can email your counselor and he/she will respond upon return at the end of August.
- It would be great if the website has information about regents make up exams and review classes and cost. I did not get a phone call or email when my child failed a regents exam. I found out in the portal. I had to reach out to the counselor. I had to ask many questions. I had to email a total of four times. Communication is something Shen needs to work on. I can easily find anything related to sports or the therapy does at the hs but nothing about the summer regents? And a teacher or counselor cannot reach out? I find this all to be unacceptable. Sadly, I have mentioned to the administration several times throughout the year to improve communication. But no. The problem continues. Go Shen SPORTS!
A. Thanks for the feedback. The summer school principal has been made aware of your concern.
- I think the students entering the military should get their names announced at graduation. I feel that serving our country in this way deserves just as much recognition as getting high grades.
A. Thank you for the input. We do not get a definitive list of these students prior to graduation. As a result we ask those students to stand so that we do not miss a name or announce someone who has changed her/his mind.
- how do I get a copy of a yearbook from the late 80s when I went to skano elemental school?
A. Skano does not have any from the late 80s on file, so we are not sure if there even was one.
- How do you sign up for the remind 101, by graduating class year?
A. Your Class Assistant Principal can provide that information.
- hello, i am a junior and i would like to express my opinion regarding the pep rally every year. i personally believe it shouldn’t be forced for all students because many students such as me have packed schedules and would much rather use that time to get work done instead of listen to thousands of people screaming. why is it that the pep rally required and has shem ever considered making the pep rally optional? thank you!
A. Thanks for the input. The pep rally is a 30 minute event, once a year. It provides a break in the routine to bond, celebrate and have some fun as a school…all things that make the overall high school experience even more significant when you look back at your days at Shen.
- Is it possible to start an English honor society?
A. Yes, with a teacher as the advisor.
- Is it true that shen is switching to one uniform color for graduation gowns starting with the class of 2017 as per the request of the transgenders
A. The high school is looking at samples of different types of caps and gowns for consideration.
- While I applaud efforts within the Shenendehowa community to address the issue of financial need with regard to our students, (Bountiful Backpack program) I find one thing to be a huge contradiction to this support.How does Orenda Elementary then go on to tell many of these same families in need that if the parents want to not just attend their child’s 5th Grade Graduation, but enjoy a meal with them, adults must pay $20 per person? Oh, sure you can still go to the graduation, sit elsewhere in the room and skip dinner, but how is this fair? Why do we on one hand acknowledge the variables in socioeconomic status of the students, then turn around and do something like this? Why can’t the ceremony be held on site like the other schools do it? Is a fancy restaurant/DJ, dinner, etc. really necessary if it is not affordable for all? I was told “it’s always been done this way.” Well, maybe it’s time to fix that.
A. No student or family has been unable to attend Orenda’s 5th Grade Graduation ceremony or the dinner because of cost. This year, like previous years, families who could not afford the graduation dinner were given the opportunity to attend and enjoy the evening at no cost. Orenda in conjunction with the PTA is always looking […]
- Why was the Presidents Award (for 8th graders) discontinued (Koda) without any input from parents ? Many students aspire to earn this distinction and replacing it with a school level award is a huge disappointment. Most other districts have this award in place. Will Shen reconsider this decision ?
A. All three Middle schools replaced the President’s award with the Superintendent’s award.
- Is there anywhere I can get a list of songs that played at the 8th grade graduation by the Gowana jazz band?
A. “Jungle Boogie” “Africa” “On Green Dolphin Street”
- What is the procedure to creating a club at Shen? PLEASE ANSWER ASAP!!
A. First step is to talk to the principal.
- As the parent of an incoming Acadia 6th grader, when should we expect to get a class schedule/assignment? Is that typically the first day of school?
A. Elementary teacher assignments will be posted on the portal August 24. Middle school schedules will be posted August 25. High School schedules will be posted August 26.
- I need to find out how to get them registered for school and know how to be best prepared. I will be in the area almost every weekend until we move in but would love to be able to meet with some staff to help with the transition.
A. All of the information to register can be found on our website at: http://www.shenet.org/registration/
- I am concerned because my daughter’s coach has invited her to showcase her athletic abilities at her party. Isn’t this illegal? What is your policy on this?
A. Your question requires more information. Please contact the athletic director.
- I think it is important, as a staff member, to set examples for those around us. To the man in the Jeep who is also a staff member on campus, please remember there is a sign that states “No turn on red during school days from 7am-6pm” on Route 146 coming on to school drive. It is setting a bad example to sit there and beep at someone and flail your arms for simply following the rules of the road.
A. Thanks for the feedback and for following the rules.
- I don’t particularly care for the new grapevine view. The old view allowed the reader to scroll backwards and therefore “catch up” on grapevine posts much further back in time than the current view. Currently I can only view “Latest Grapevine Posts”. How can I access posts further back in time?
A. Thanks for the feedback. We changed the setting to allow for more Grapevines to be viewed on this page. To view older Grapevines, please see the archive pages.
- I’m going to be a junior this upcoming school year. I looked at the requirements for the junior citizenship pass and I pass all of them. When do I fill out the sheet to get the pass and who do I give it to? Was I supposed to do this before this school year is over? Or is it a fall thing?
A. Junior Citizenship applications will be available at the beginning of the 2016-17 school year and are usually approved for use starting the second week of school.
- Hello, I was wondering what happens if a student fails a regents exam? Sometimes it’s not the students fault but rather the student simply doesn’t understand the teachers teaching methods. It’s simply my opinion, I don’t always think it’s the students fault for failing an exam, I’m not implying it isn’t always but sometimes the student can study and study and get nervous and simply blank out!
A. Students must pass certain Regents exams for graduation or to earn an Advanced Regents Diploma.
- My daughter went to regents review and was constantly asked by hall Monitors where is she going, what room, who is the teacher, what is the review for. She said she felt like she did something wrong. I understand asking once by why treat my child like a bad kid when all she is doing is going to review? Im sure most kids wouldn’t just walk around the high school for fun. She said once they started asking her what room with who and all those questions she felt like she was in trouble. shouldn’t the hall monitors know their is review and instead of just asking my child tons of questions about this review just ask her where is she going
A. Thanks for the feedback. When Regents exams are being administered, the high school must maintain a certain level of security so as not to compromise the test. When students are in areas of the building that are “restricted”, monitors will ask them why they are there.
- Has Shen ever thought about doing away with the valedictorian and salutatorian and instead present the the top ten students in the graduating class?
A. Yes, it has been discussed several times.
- Is there a dress code for classroom teachers?
A. There is an expectation of professionalism and appropriateness. For instance, it is not uncommon to see a staff person wearing shorts or other summer attire this time of the school year, particularly teachers who are proctoring exams or participating in field day activities. However, in the same way we expect that students’ attire meet a […]
- Can the public start using the pool for just swimming during the summer? How much is it? When is it open? Do shen students get in for free? Thank you for answering my questions.
A. The pool is not open for public swim. The primary purpose of the Aquatic Center is for student physical education and athletic events. There are various programs that run through community education and through summer camps. Information and can be found on the community education website.
- Just out of curiosity why can’t show their shoulders I mean let’s face it no guy is going to go up to a girl and go “hey you have sexy shoulders you wanna go out?” Not trying to be funny or rude just inquiring.
A. The dress code doesn’t prohibit showing shoulders.
- Why did you take away the physics field trip to six flags I was so excited for it
A. There was a scheduling conflict that prevented the trip this year. It was an unfortunate circumstance. The trip has not been cancelled permanently.
- Is there a 7th and 8th grade boys modified soccer team?
A. Yes, we will be fielding a Gr. 7/8 boys soccer team.
- Are there cuts in modified field hockey.
A. With two teams we have tried to avoid cutting. We generally keep around 40 students in grades 7-8 between the two teams.
- Is it true Mr.Flynt is retiring next year? One of the faculty members mentioned it.
A. If and when Mr. Flynt decides to retire, it will be announced.
- Are staff members properly trained to report sign of abuse? Do they take classes?
A. All staff are trained in reporting of child abuse as per district policy.
- Why are schedules already out? And I’ve found that a lot of them have many mistakes (wrong classes, empty periods, etc.)
A. The district rolled to next year’s calendar and during that transition people could see incomplete schedules for a short period of time until the transition was completed.
- I wasn’t sure I heard this correctly, though it was the answer on the grapevine. The atheletes get luxury charter busses? Which athelets? These busses are in the parking lot year round, and there are more than 2 each day. Which atheletes get to ride these?
A. It varies. Due to the bus driver shortage, athletic teams often need to use charter busses to get to away games and then get picked up by a district bus. This is not an ideal situation, however, our teams have an obligation to get to their scheduled games and contests.
- What is the policy of bringing peanut products to lunch, for example a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
A. Students may bring what they want to eat. There are designated seats for students with peanut allergies. If your child was to bring in a peanutbutter sandwich they would not be allowed to sit with or near a child with a peanut allergy. Please refer to BOE Policy 7521 for more information.
- How much do finals count towards a student’s final grade for middle school?
A. Final exams will count towards a student’s final average as listed below: 6th Grade – 5% of the final grade 7th Grade – 10% of the final grade 8th Grade – 10% of the final grade Courses with High School weight – 20% of the final grade
- Why does Okte have so many air conditioners in the classrooms?
A. Okte is a two-story school building and there is no central air conditioning in the classrooms. Air conditioners are provided in the front, upper classrooms because they become excessively hot during some of the early summer and fall days. At times, air conditioners are also provided in classrooms for specific students with disabilities.
- If a high school student is not in school during the day are they allowed to participate in a concert that evening? What about a sporting event? Is it true that there were a number of seniors out Monday after prom who seemed to have gotten better that evening for their choir concert.
A. It is true and students should not be able to participate in activities in the evening if they were absent from school. The high school administration will do a much better job in reviewing this next school year.
- Many students and parents are unable to understand the difference between final exams and regents in high school. Too, they find it hard to understand how the testings figure into the grade equations for the quarter, or the overall grading of the year. Would you be so kind as to spell that out here in this forum? Thank you!
A. This school year high school faculty members will be spending much time looking to become more consistent when calculating grades using final and regents exams. While each course may be different, about 10-20% of a student’s grade is made up of the final or Regents exam.
- In your response regarding summer HW for honors students, you said it is assigned to “maintain skills” and to “review skills” during the summer. I understand the pace is faster, leaving less time to review in September. To not require or see the importance for regents and AIS students to “maintain skill” and “review skills” over the summer doesn’t make sense! The benefit to them would be even greater. HW should be assigned to these students as well. Assigning it only to honors is unfair.
A. Thanks for the feedback.