- Will we be updated with the ongoing lead issue? I’m assuming water fountains are an issue…I’m sending my elementary child in with a water bottle for the time being..
A. As results come in the will be posted here: http://www.shenet.org/new-lead-testing-regulation-and-results/
In an effort to improve communications the district has created this format to provide people with a place to get answers to questions and to address rumors and inaccurate information that sometimes circulates through the community.
NOT ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED. For individual or private concerns, you should contact the school or district office by phone. We will not answer comments about specific individuals by name.
Questions are e-mailed to the district’s public information office. The PI Officer determines who could best answer the question and directs the question to that person. Once the PIO receives the answer it is posted.
Latest Grapevine Posts:
- Can someone replace the projector/light in room 206 at HSE? I have a class there and can never see the board with the lights on, and even with them off its difficult. Thank you.
A. We have a process for that. Have your teacher make the request.
- When will order forms for SFA Senate apparel be distributed?
A. There is no SFA apparel sale this year.
- My child is in 11th grade I don’t want them to take the psat when is the deadline to opt out.
A. Please let Mr. Flynt know ASAP. Having said this, 11th grade students who do not take the PSAT are not eligible for National Merit Scholarships or company sponsored National Merit scholarships that use the PSATs as the basis for selection.
- Is there a way to view past high school announcements from several days back?
A. Sorry, but they are not archived.
- The Grapevine posted a question/answer regarding lead water testing at Shen back on May 23, 2016. The answer posted was “We just recently completed water tests and we are all clear”. What changed since then? http://www.shenet.org/lead-was-found-in-the-water-at-glencliff-elementary-school-in-niskayuna-how-often-is-our-water-tested-at-shen/
A. We tested our water supply for lead prior to the new state mandate. It came back all clear. The new mandate required that we test the water coming out of any source that may be used for drinking or cooking. We went beyond that mandate and had all 1,400 water sources tested.
- during the holocaust unit in school it seems they mock skeptics of the holocaust as part of the curriculum. why should critical thinkers be punished and brushed off like this?
A. The Holocaust took place because individuals, groups, and nations made decisions to act or not to act. Focusing on those decisions leads to insights into history and human nature and can help students to become better critical thinkers. Students are taught how to make careful distinctions about sources of information. Through English and social […]
- I know this has been asked before but the answer never seems to dig deep enough. Why is there such a discrepancy in field trips among the middle schools. Acadia 6th grade just went to Massachusetts. Gowana 6-1 went to Ellms Farm. Gowana 6-2 stayed at school and had a team day on campus. Hmmm. In 8th grade, Acadia goes to Washington, DC and their students also participate in the “8th grade field trip” to Great Escape, while Gowana students only go to Great Escape. What has to change so that the Gowana students (and assumingly Koda too) get to go on the same types of field trips? Skip Great Escape for 8th graders (since kids go there all the time on their own) and take them all to Washington DC! There is such an inequity in the field trips. If it’s up to the team teachers, then maybe it’s time to change them up or change up the rules so all kids benefit from the trips!
A. Please call your principal if you want to dig deeper.
- Would any of the elementary schools accept Box Tops for Education that have expired? Thanks.
A. The company does not accept them, so we do not.
- It seems the District is missing the point on class sizes. While enrollment may be down, specifically in K-5, that is not represented in all Shen elementary schools. We have this “guideline” of appropriate class sizes, let’s be honest, 24-26 in K-2 is not appropriate with the needs we are seeing. A big portion of our kids are coming from half day K and in all honesty are struggling because we aren’t meeting ALL the needs with EDK. We really need all stakeholders to explore the current research on the value of low class sizes, specifically in grades K-2. There are multiple “big” school districts in NYS that have made this a district priority (with class sizes 17-18) because they’ve read the research and see the value and results. Hoping to see this on a future BOE agenda. Thank you.
A. Thanks for sharing your concern and suggestion. The information will be shared with the Superintendent.
- I had a question in regards to the lead testing that was completed at the schools. To my knowledge, there was a building, maybe more, that was found to have contaminated water. Why were the teachers at this building not informed of this? Rather the water was turned off with no warning. The head custodian was told not to tell the teachers about this. I would appreciate any information as I believe this is a serious issue. Thanks.
A. The first priority was to make sure those water sources were shut down and communicate with principals. That was done on Monday. The second priority was to review and summarize the reports and communicate with staff and parents. That was done on Tuesday, well within the 10 days required by law.
- What does CAPS stand for?
A. Class Assistant Principals.
- Who answers these questions? Whoever it is, you are so helpful.
A. Many different people answer, the public information officer posts. Thanks for the feedback.
- Sorry if this was already asked, but regarding lead testing in the water, how can we see a breakdown of what was tested at each school, and how much lead (if any) was detected? Thank you!
A. It will be posted and updated here: http://www.shenet.org/new-lead-testing-regulation-and-results/
- Acadia 6th grade picture day – what was the picture day ID or any other information I need to order pictures online? What is the website to place an order? Thank you
A. The website is: https://my.lifetouch.com/mylifetouch/#/ Online order is available up to 48 hours after picture day and it will reopen once the packages arrive. If the person ordered pictures, they will get the package back and it will contain a unique id. If the person did not order pictures, they will receive a sample package, again with […]
- The parking lot at Orenda was recently reconfigured and the parking spots were made WAY TOO narrow in the row closest to the campus road. I work at Orenda and surprise, my front bumper was clipped last week. Parents park there before school to avoid reversing out of spots and zoom forward onto the campus road after dropping off. Also, they park at an angle to prevent a car parking next to them and take up two spots, helping them to shoot forward and taking up spots for employees attempting to park. Shouldn’t they be waiting in the designated parent drop off lane in the parking lot? Some parents are still pulling up in the far row and sending kids running through the parking lot and even across to the middle school. This holds up employees and on several occasions, school buses trying to get in line to unload, not to mention, it is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous. If a large vehicle, such as an SUV parks in the far row, there is no room to even open car doors and you can’t see to reverse out of a spot. This has created a dangerous situation in the lot and it should be reexamined. Thank you.
A. Thanks for the feedback.
- What are the multipliers for honors, AP, and college level classes?
- I am appalled at why I’m still being oppressed and it’s 2016. My first complaint is about one of my teachers who still uses wrong pronouns for me, and it’s something I’ve made clear to him. Teachers should go to workshops on gender studies. Also, every time I go to the bathroom I feel wrong going into the boys room, when I know it is not who I am. It is the schools responsibility to ensure that all the students on campus feel safe and able to be themselves.
A. Please talk to your principal.
- I agree with the comment about advertising more sporting events on the new electric Shen signs: I have seen the sign showing “the first home football game” and also “Shen football senior night”. There are plenty of other sports at Shen and if football is getting “electric screen time” then the other sports should have equal exposure.
A. Thanks for the feedback.
- Why has teaching cursive writing been eliminated from the school curriculum?
A. We recognize there are many opinions about the value of cursive instruction as technology increasingly plays an important role in communication. Shen has not intentionally eliminated cursive, however, cursive is not required as part of NYS learning standards. We will be revisiting the topic of cursive writing, not for student mastery, but for the benefits […]
- How do high schoolers get into the national honor society?
A. That information can be found here: http://shennhs.webs.com/
- I thought this was an Anonymous forum to ask questions and get answers about things going on in the district. You recently posted a question criticizing someone for calling out a student but yet you just called out bus driver and very specific terms and have been known to single out teachers. Shouldn’t you be giving equal consideration to both students and staff? You seem pick and choose Who deserves your editing and who deserves to be called out? Shouldn’t someone doing the grapevine be run more neutral and without an agenda because clearly you are not.
A. There is a big difference between commenting about the job performance of a public employee and belittling a child for the types of clothes they wear. However, if a grapevine names a particular employee, the name is removed.
- Can you post the rules for Halloween costumes at school? Masks? No masks?, makeup?, etc. Hearing a lot of different versions
A. Each school does things a little differently. Please contact the main office of your child’s school.
- what is the world honor language society and how do i join
A. Information about the World Languages Honor Society can be found here: http://www.shenet.org/who-can-apply-to-the-world-languages-honor-society-and-when/
- Will tenth and eleventh grade students be taking the PSAT in school again this year?
A. 10th and 11th graders will take the PSATs on 11/2. A letter will be going home in the next few days.
- Are teachers permitted to assign homework due during the weekend or during breaks? In my son’s case, a number of his teachers are having him hand in assignments electronically on Saturday or Sunday nights. A weekend should provide students with some respite from the rigors of school, and assigning work due during these breaks undermines their purpose.
A. Policy does not prohibit teachers from assigning homework over the weekend. Please verify with your child when the assignment was given to students. In some cases, teachers have extended deadlines for assignments to include weekends to better meet the needs of busy students’ schedules. If you remain concerned, please contact your child’s teacher directly. […]
- Why do we not have prom king and queen anymore.
A. We haven’t had them for at least 10 years.
- There is a sign opposite the HSW lunch line entrance that says “Cafeteria Ladies Only”. I get what the message is trying to convey, but I feel it is putting stereotypes that we are trying so hard to get away from. Can it be changed to something more gender neutral?
A. It is a designated bathroom for kitchen staff only and we only have women that work at HSW.
- I was wondering if you could tell us how a certain person, who is not certified as a teacher in anything, was hired as a teacher in the middle school this year?
A. We do, on rare occasions, have non-certified, substitute teachers with a bachelor’s degree and experience in a similar field substitute under the direction of the academic and building administrator . If you have more questions, contact Human Resources.
- Please let me know how parents can put in senior baby pictures in the yearbook?
A. It is on the yearbook web page: https://sites.google.com/a/shenschools.org/carillon-yearbook/
- We have Columbus Day (Monday) off and Yom Kippur (Wednesday) off. Why won’t Shen just give us off Tuesday? Would it really kill them?
A. The more you are in class, the more you learn.
- Why is there such a focus on specifically the Jews when students are taught about the German war crimes. The Germans killed 11 million people, 6 million of which are Jews. The majority of the Nazis victims are the Slavs, who are just briefly mentioned with a major focus on the Jews. The history units on the German atrocities are called the holocaust, which only includes the Jews, taking away much of he focus on the majority of the Nazis victim
A. Students learn about genocide, human atrocities and human rights violations which occurred in many time periods of world and U.S. history in their Social Studies classes. Specifically, in the New York Social Studies Curriculum Framework for Global History, students “will examine the atrocities against the Armenians; examine the Ukrainian Holodomor, and examine the Holocaust.”
- The campus roads are awful. Are there plans to repave them before the winter?
A. We constantly repair roads due to high usage.
- Do you think Mr. Flynt reads the grapevine? If so, shout out to the man that keeps our wheels turning! Good job, Flynt.
A. Mr. Flynt does a great job.
- When is someone going to do something about the Gowana parking lot? All the lanes are one way going east. There needs to be better signage alerting people to this. People also need to SLOW DOWN driving down these lanes, as well as on School Road around the curve there. There have been way too many near misses because of driving the wrong way, driving too fast or cutting off cars that have the right of way because there is no stop sign at the end of the lanes. Please do something before a child gets hit.
A. Thanks for sharing, the info will be shared with appropriate personnel.
- What is Shen going to do about the class sizes getting bigger and bigger every year there’s no room in any of the school as is now and I don’t see it getting better.
A. To the contrary, our overall enrollment is actually flat. Further, the K-5 enrollment has been trending down.
- Where does the school of excellence designation for Shen come from? Is it from an accreditation? Or is it a tagline created by the district itself? If it’s an accreditation, where does that come from, i.e. who issues it, what are the standards, and when and how is the accreditation audited for continued validity? Thanks.
A. The U.S. Department of Education has the Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award. For more informatin go to their website. “Committed to Excellence” that is the mantra of the school district.
- Can someone please advise as to why a large number of spectators are allowed to stand on the football field with the team. Some of these individuals I understand, Dr. Robinson, Mr. Culnan but not the former football players who no longer attend Shen. I counted over 25 spectators standing on the field at the last home Shen game. Then at the CBA game the same individuals were allowed on the field again.
A. Because they are invited by either the athletic director, coach or the superintendent.
- Will Koda students be able to dress up in appropriate costumes on Halloween? Also, can I bring in a small stuffed animal with my costume if we are able to?
A. All of the schools have different guidelines, please check with your principal.
- I was wondering if instead of just advertising on the new sign when the football games were, we could advertise every game/match/meet that’s going on at Shen that week. There are other sports than just football.
A. We don’t advertise all of the football games. Events posted on the signs are events with a broad community appeal taken from the district calendar. We could not possible post every single game, meet, musical concert, fundraising activity, etc.
- I have a concern regarding the non-existent WiFi in the High Schools. Many teachers are asking the students to use their phones in class to complete class work; sites such as google or others are being used. The issue is the WiFi doesn’t connect in many if not all classrooms, this forces students to use 3G, 4G, LTE which in turn uses their data. Is there a specific cause that is making the WiFi not work properly? if so, it needs to be addressed and fixed accordingly.
A. Shenendehowa’s wireless network provides comprehensive coverage in all district buildings, including both high schools. Instruction for connecting to SHEN-BYOD by students and staff are posted on the BYOD page: https://sites.google.com/a/shenschools.org/byod/home-1/how-to-connect It is important to note that after connecting to SHEN-BYOD users must open their browser and enter their username/password combination successfully to access the […]
- My child in in Masterpieces of the Drama and Musical theater class. They are supposed to go on a field trip to see Fiddler on the Roof. Today my child tells me that the trip may be moved to a Saturday (instead of the originally scheduled Wednesday) and the cost will increase as tickets to Broadway shows are more on the weekends, plus the buses will cost more. The reason given was that “they would miss too much school.” It is an educational field trip, not unlike any other that might be taken. All the students are seniors as well. And going on a Saturday means that we lose family time and a few will also have to miss Drivers Ed. I don’t understand how it is okay for athletic teams to miss school due to tournaments and sectionals etc, but an educational field trip to see a Broadway show (which may be the only time some of these kids ever get to see one) is taking away too much class time.
A. The trip is planned for a Wednesday, during the school day.
- Many NHS students are also in TRI M (music national honor society), both of which require attendance. Why would TRI M schedule their meetings at the same day and time as NHS. (NHS schedule has already been online since the beginning of the school year…-every 2 weeks on Thursday). Could there be some adjustment to the TRI M schedule? Students already missed NHS yesterday to attend TRI M, and the next meeting they will face the same conflict. Thank you.
A. We will pass this on to the advisors.
- Can I dress up as a clown for Halloween? It is a part of my families heritage.
A. Schools within the district have different procedures for Halloween. Consult your principal.
- When do winter sports start and end?
A. Varsity, JV and Freshman Winter sports begin on Monday, 11/7/16, Modified Winter sports begin on 11/14/16. The winter season ends in early February or in early March, depending on the level and team and also on the results of post-season competitions.
- why aren’t students dress coded for wearing offensive shirts like “I heart asians” and completely offend a culture
A. When we see them we respond accordingly. If you are aware of someone wearing an inappropriate shirt, please inform an administrator.
- so it is 10-05-16 of the 16-17 school year i am a senior that has all of my math credits and i am in a college course and i want to drop the class can i or is it too late? please respond to this question and have a great day
A. You can drop but you must complete a gold “drop” form which you can get in the Counseling, College & Career Center.
- What are the actual issues surrounding the bottle flipping game? What harm has such an innocent game wrought?
A. We are concerned that bottles open, caps split and these things create a mess. In addition, when thrown in the air they can hit unsuspecting students.
- Hello, does Shen have any involvement in environmental conservation efforts? The school would be a great way to raise awareness for the next generation, and as such, would it be possible to raise awareness this November 28? On that day, it was six months since Harambe was shot, and I think to raise awareness about this endangered species, the silverback gorilla, we could have a moment of silence on that day.
A. The district has an Environmental Committee that is focused more on energy conservation but not endangered species. I don’t know of a club within the district that specifically focuses on that.
- When will the transportation department start hiring bus monitors, or substitute bus monitors. They havent hired anyone new for over a year, at least subbing would be great.
A. We will hire bus attendants/monitors, to include substitutes, when there’s a need. Call the transportation department and check to make sure your application is still on file.
- Is Shen ever going to consider permanent building subs? Sometimes there is no coverage in the classroom and other teachers have to step in to cover until they can get someone in the classroom. It makes sense to establish a permanent sub like other schools do for each grade level for this exact situation. Something to think about.
A. No, we are not considering permanent building substitutes.
- Tell your afternoon driver of bus #627 she should NOT be turning left on the red light coming off of rt146 on to the campus. It’s dangerous!
A. Thank you for the feedback. It will be reviewed. FYI, bus drivers, under DMV regulations, are permitted to enter the intersection and basically be directly under the traffic light and wait until it is clear for them to make the left turn – sometimes while they are waiting, the light turns red. Please call […]
- Why aren’t we allowed to wear hats in school?
A. That is not a district policy. Without knowing which school you are talking about, principals may decide certain types of dress are causing a distraction to the educational process and can put them on the “not acceptable” list.
- Thank you to the crossing guard at middle school dismissal by the Acadia / Orenda cross walk for parent pickups. He always makes sure that things are safe for the pedestricians, and explains to people why they need to do something so that they learn for future rather than just reprimanding. He is professional and an asset to Shen.
A. Thanks for the feedback.
- How come in the yearbook, all the females are breaking the dress code by essentially wearing something that appears strapless, but that type of style would not be allowed in school? Of course because it’s formal attire and just a sheet, but it’s a little confusing.
A. The portrait is a formal pose for the yearbook. In school, we are trying to create a business-like environment trying to limit distractions to the educational process.
- Why did the caps switch places from there office to the drop in lab
A. This was done to help create space for the Wellness Center.
- If we want to, are we allowed to go eat lunch with Mr. Flynt or have him sit with us? He seems really interesting and with a school so big, I don’t really know him and I want to learn more.
A. He would be happy to eat lunch with any student.
- Can you still purchase Class of 2017 t-shirt, if so where do you buy one?
A. Please contact the class advisors, Mrs. Pfaffenbach or Mrs. Connelly.
- and visiting the pool? I am never able to park there and I AM handicapped. I was recently told that every slot, every day is taken by staff of the Transportation Dept. I was also told that the drivers and attendants that park there (the same ones every day) are required to pass a physical performance test. Perhaps the Director of Transportation could look into this. Thank you
A. Thank you for sharing, we will look into this issue and take corrective action.
- Why is PDA allowed?
A. It is not, but we try to work with students to understand that it is not allowed and in so doing, sometimes certain people are able to understand sooner than others regarding our expectations.
- Why does HSW have a salad bar, will this be offered at HSE I know a lot of kids would eat from the salad bar. Its a great idea and great way to have the kids eat healthy.
A. It is already offered at High School East every Wednesday.
- For what reason was the homecoming dance canceled?
A. You need to contact the Student Senate for a reply.
- Hi how are you. Not many people ask how you are.I’m great
A. I am well. Thank’s for asking.
- Where can I find information on the Shenendehowa High School Science Bowl club?
A. All clubs are listed here: http://www.shenet.org/shen-high-school/clubs-extracurricular-activities/
- I can never here the announcments in homeroon- everyone is too loud.
A. Talk to your teacher.
- Why are Hjabs not banned? They have become a well established symbol of terrorism, especially after the tragery of 9/11. As a parent I find it deeply concerning that this behavior is tolerated and even encouraged.
A. You are wrong. Hjabs are not a symbol of terrorism. It is a veil worn by women.
- If there is a supposedly a clown on campus, and the police are taking this as serious as a terrorist attack/threat, how come school has not been cancelled? If student safety is your top priority how come you do not show it?
A. Nobody ever said that police were taking it as a terrorist threat. In fact, the police deemed it “non-credible.” The increased security measures were precautionary.
- Given the new posters encouraging against swearing, what is Shen’s actual view on swearing? Why limit our use of drastic words that properly express our thoughts and emotions?
A. We are trying to prepare you to live and work in a civil society.
- Why is there a helicopter circling the school?
A. Someone reported to the police that they say a clown on campus. The police and helicopters searched and found no evidence of a clown. The next day, the district reviewed its surveillance tapes and there was no evidence of a clown.
- all this clown activity isn’t funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kids are just making a big joke over it including da bomb! #fighttheclowns
A. You are right, it is not funny and making threats against a school is a felony.
- Why does shen not care about cross country boys or girls
A. We care about everyone.
- When/What Time Is The First Dance?
- Why were their cops in front of HSE today? (10/3/2016)
A. A threat was made on social media. While the police deemed the threat “non-credible,” we took precautions by having an increased police presence.
- Is there a threat to the high schools from the clowns?
A. There was a threat on social media that was deemed “non-credible” by the police. It was not specific. It just said Shenendehowa.
- Has Shen ever considered creating a show choir?
A. Not sure what a show choir is. We have A Capella.
- Why is the final total size of the 2017 graduating class?
A. We won’t know that until graduation day. Currently it’s 757.
- Is the talent show auditions over? What are the rules for the auditions?
A. You have to be more specific. What school?
- Hi, Is there anyway you can try on SHEN apparel before purchasing to know what size you will need? Thanks in advance!
A. Sorry, but no. Remember, because the items are custom, there is no return.
- I am a young professional and a 2012 graduate of Shenendehowa currently working as an Admissions Counselor. Are there any volunteer opportunities for people who don’t have kids? How can I be more involved in the Shen community or who can I speak to about this?
A. Contact the director of community development, Rebecca Carman, 881-0611.
- If I religiously observe Rosh Hashanah and I stayed home from school, would it be a legal absence?
A. Religious observances are an excused absence.
- A further regard to the binders for middle school. This year, I had to buy 6 separate 1 1/2 binders. They are too big for the locker and they are a burden for the student. I would have loved to have been able to buy a trapper keeper or the like for my children but last year my child received a homework grade based upon whether she had the correct supplies on the 1st day, and the list specifically required this many binders. They also don’t all fit into the backpacks either. This should all be reconsidered, particularly in today’s technology world.
A. Thanks for the feedback.
- I see that one Grapevine reader complemented the school district on the new electronic signs. However, for the rest of us, please explain why they were needed and how much they cost to install and operate.
A. We are always looking for ways to improve communications, the electronic signs are an additional way to communicate with the public. The electronic signs are part of a complete signage package on campus that will be installed in the next year. There is no cost to operate other than minimal costs for electricity.
- I am in 8th grade and was wondering….. what is the Superintendent’s award? Does everyone that meets the requirements get one?
A. The student had to have a 90% cumulative average for all of 6th and 7th grade and the first three quarters of grade 8.
- Are there any rules against bringing in small rodents into the workroom after school in HSE? I got a new guinea pig. (His name is Spot.) Very friendly guy. He gets a little feisty but only when he’s tired. (You know how young men are.) I want to bring my little man in so I can surprise my teacher b/c she loves guinea pigs too. I know that a healthy student/teacher relationship should be cultivated and I think this is an ideal opportunity to better the relationship between us. Is this allowed? Your input is greatly appreciated. For me and anyone else whom have had this question.
A. Yes, there is a BOE Policy 4450: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBDshT1lZueZERrQ0F5Q0VKZWc/view
- Shen has posted pictures of first graders with their eyes closed and hands raised above their heads in a yoga pose. It states they are participating in calm classroom. You also have pictures of fifth graders with eyes closed being led in their first guided meditation. Please inform parents on the name of the guided meditation program Shen has implemented here. What are the words, music, mantras being used? How often will Shen students be led into guided meditation? Were parents notified prior to these sessions? Last year Shen defended a classroom meditation photo by stating it was a lesson on Eastern culture and religion. How does guided meditation now fit into Shen’s curriculum? Are grants or payments involved in this program? How are teacher’s trained to guide these meditation sessions?
A. Students are engaged in mindfulness activities that are within the purview and auspice of schools and classrooms. If you have a specific question, you should ask the teacher.
- Why do parents of athletes who make the team but do not play expected to volunteer, or they are sent what could be be taken as threatening emails. Stating if you don’t step up you will be assigned, and it will be your responsibility to find someone to replace you. Some parents are not able to volunteer , or feel that they should not have to if their child does not play .
A. While it is not mandatory, we encourage all parents to support the team and volunteer at concession stands.
- My daughter has just started 7th grade. She is interested in joining cheerleading. How and when do sign ups/ try out occur? Thank you
A. Cheerleading is a high school sport. Any student in grades 7 or 8 would have to be recommended to tryout by the coach.
- Where is the link to the Shen High School Drama Club website? Thank you.
- why doesn’t the high school make another parking lot for the students otherwise students have to walk miles to get to school. There is plenty of room on campus to do so. the high school was able to add a new sign but not a much needed parking lot. By the way campus patrol is awful.
A. The district deploys 204 buses daily, with the capacity to transport 10,000 students. We encourage students to ride the bus or carpool.
- What grade do you take your senior portraits
A. Students begin to have their Senior portrait taken in the spring of their Junior year. Deadline to have Senior portraits taken is September 30 of the Senior year.
- I understand that there are three new options for caps and gowns for 2017 graduation. I have a number of questions: 1. Is there a fourth option to just stick with tradition? 2. What about those people that used the school-designated Laurens Studio for their senior pictures? Those s tudents already had photos taken with the traditional green and white options. That is unfair to them. 3. Why were students and parents not given the option to weigh in on the choices including the elimination of the Shen tradition? 4. Who made the arbitrary call on this change? 5. If the intention to allow for transgender students to feel they have the option to be true to their identity, then why not allow every student to choose between the solid green or the solid white, based on their own personal preference and identity and allow tradition to prevail for the masses?
A. No decision made. That is the point of asking students two vote. There are three potential changes in the look of the gowns and a fourth that says to keep things as they are.
- Why do seniors have to pick from three new hideous green graduation gowns? I have been waiting forever to wear a white gown to my high school graduation and just because someone claimed they aren’t “gender neutral” you are going to ruin it for everyone else? Who can I speak to about this because as a very active member of the senior class I will not stand for this
A. The company that provides our robes approached us about a new line that they are offering. We decided to survey the students to see if there was any interest. Students can select one of these or they can chose the option “not to change.” No decision has been made. When the decision is made, we […]
- Shen should be ashamed to claim that it is a school “commited to excellence.” On a regular basis, the main bathroom at the High School East is filled with dense smoke from cigars and other illicit substances. Monitors make little effort to prevent or reprimand the students responsible. The administration refuses to acknowledge the problem this school has. It’s clear that it’s too easy to students to use recreational drugs in the facilities. Before implementing gender neutral facilities, the school needs to gain control over its existing bathrooms and locker rooms. Please don’t censor this post – the Shen community has a RIGHT to understand the scope of our drug problem.
A. Thanks for the feedback. While it is true that the bathrooms are sometimes places where students smoke or engage in behaviors that are detrimental, they are also the areas where direct supervision is not possible. Whenever we are told or become aware of an incident we investigate with the goal of finding the perpetrators […]