- I’m a junior and tried to make an appointment for my senior portrait but was never told of when my appointment would be due to all they did was write our names and numbers down and said they’d contact us as the laptop was not working. Is it too late to have my portrait taken now?
A. It is not too late to have senior portraits taken. Senior Portraits must be taken by September 30. Lauren Studios will come to the high school again from July 18 until July 29. Sign up for a portrait session at laurenstudios.com.
In an effort to improve communications the district has created this format to provide people with a place to get answers to questions and to address rumors and inaccurate information that sometimes circulates through the community.
NOT ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED. For individual or private concerns, you should contact the school or district office by phone. We will not answer comments about specific individuals by name.
Questions are e-mailed to the district’s public information office. The PI Officer determines who could best answer the question and directs the question to that person. Once the PIO receives the answer it is posted.
Latest Grapevine Posts:
- Why does Shen stress athletics so much? For example, spending thousands of dollars on a weight room but cutting art classes?
A. We have never cut art classes, the 2016-17 budget specifically focuses on art classes and supplies.
- When will yearbooks be distributed in the high schools?
A. The Yearbooks are distributed the week of Memorial Day at the high school. Seniors may pick up or buy books in HSE on Tuesday, May 31. Juniors and Seniors may pick up or buy books in HSE on Wednesday, June 1. Everyone may pick up or buy books on Thursday and Friday, June 2 […]
- I’ve been told that IMS can see into our phones and watch everything they do on the computers… Can they really, or is it just a scare tactic?
A. Users that connect to the district wireless network are subject to acceptable use standards. Internet traffic is filtered to protect everyone. Aside from internet traffic while connected to the districts WiFi network, the district does not have access to any other data/activity on a user’s personal device.
- Are the computers and computer networks at Shenendehowa secure? I’m a taxpayer and a parent. I don’t want my child’s information stolen and sold to pedophiles online.
A. The computer network is secured using up to date hardware, software and best practices. Securing the districts systems is a constant effort and a job that is taken very seriously.
- I just received the images for senior portraits with email saying we will save shipping fees if order within 3 days but no way to order or view packages. I called Lauren Studios & they said Shen has not approved prices yet. Will we still get shipping free when we are able to order?
A. Please contact the Yearbook Club Advisor at email@example.com.
- How do I take health over the summer.
A. Any student interested in taking health over the summer should contact their counselor to discuss the options.
- Will the graduation be streamed on the Internet? It would be nice if family living out of state had the ability to watch it.
A. Sorry but it will not be streamed.
- Why is it that when you click on the “inside shen” link it defaults to another page?
A. InsideShen is an intranet for staff.
- I think shen high school should do taco Tuesday there should be a lunch club. How is each lunch desided. I am very interested in the process
A. We can include Taco Tuesday’s in next year’s menu. Thanks for the suggestion. We decide what to serve by following the NYS Education Department regulations. We need to offer a certain amount of protein, grains, fruits and vegetables throughout the week. You can contact the Food Service Department if you have more questions about the […]
- The select language is a very cool feature. However, once you change it to another language, English is not an option for changing it back. Can you add English to the drop down? Thank you
A. When you use Google Translator to translate the page to another language, there is a “Show Original” button at the top left hand side of the browser screen that allows you to revert back to English.
- Why are there a few CDTA busses and “Luxury Liner” busses at HSE and HSW every day? Is it possible they could park in the bus turnaround rather than block cars attempting to leave campus before busses?
A. They are there for athletic events. We are working on a plan for next year to improve this.
- Why would students get told to arrive for the SAT earlier if they have to wait outside the school for over 20 minutes? It’s kind of ridiculous that the school made all the students stand outside and wait.
A. Students are asked to arrive early so that they can begin the exam on time.
- Why can’t I bring a 8th grader to the 10th grade semi formal
A. The dance is for high school students.
- Has the CAPS office redone the senior parking passes for this quarter yet?
A. The CAPS office is currently reviewing 4th quarter interim grades and will consider removing students from parking who are no longer eligible based on grades, attendance and behavior
- Why are all the juice boxes in HSE 80% frozen? Its ridiculous and not worth buying
A. If you are not satisfied, you can bring it back up and get another one.
- I’m a junior and since juniors can’t drive to school I have to take the bus. My bus comes at approximately 6:34am and sometimes earlier. I find myself almost missing the bus because it consistently comes earlier as the week progresses. When my bus gets to campus, at 6:50am, we have to wait on the bus until 7:10am. That’s 20 minutes of sitting on the bus Infront of school. My question is Why can’t the bus drivers pick the students up at least five minutes later instead of rushing to school to wait Infront for 20 minutes?
A. This is a question that is often asked. The bus driver starts the route on time every day. Sometimes the route runs later and sometimes it runs earlier depending on a couple of factors such as traffic, weather and the number of student who may/may not board the bus on any particular day. We […]
- Lead was found in the water at Glencliff Elementary School in Niskayuna. How often is our water tested at Shen?
A. We just recently completed water tests and we are all clear.
- Could you give any suggestions or point a parent in the right direction as to where I might be able to find a math tutor for my child??
A. Sorry, but we do not refer tutors.
- How long does it take for questions to be answered/when are the answers to questions released here? I’m just curious
A. It depends on how busy the respondents are. If you need an immediate response, call.
- It is very clear to anyone walking through the halls of high school east within the past week that there has been cigarettes smoked inside the building. With the presence of hall monitors how is this possible especially on multiple occasions? Is there anything being done about this issue? Many students have found this very disrespectful and harmful to their educational environment.
A. If you see something (or in this case, smell something), say something…to the nearest adult.
- Can anyone explain why graduation is on a Thursday this year?
A. Because that is the way the calendar and SPAC availability worked out.
- Can my kindergarten girl wear makeup to school
A. There is no policy against make up at any age unless it becomes a distraction to the educational process.