How do I add another email to our parent portal to receive SIS messages? Thank you.

Written by on September 11, 2020

A. Shenendehowa’s Parent Portal offers self service PHONE NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESS changes for guardians.

To change a guardian’s email address (or add a secondary email), cell phone or work phone go to the Family Members module, click the UPDATE button for the GUARDIAN, and submit the new information.

To change your household phone number go to the Household Information module, click the UPDATE button, and submit the new number.

You will receive a portal inbox message (not an email) within 3 business days indicating your change request has been approved or denied.

Please do not submit students’ personal cell numbers or email addresses.  We will not add these to the student information system, and these requests will be denied.  The only email recorded for students is their school email.

For residential address or name changes  you must contact your child’s school directly to fill out an address change form with proof of residency or other appropriate name change documentation.  Addresses and names cannot be changed via self service on the portal.